4.22.2007

She knew six

I found out late Tuesday evening that my sister in California, a double alumna, knew six of the victims of Monday's shooting at Virgina Tech.

Two things she said to me that just cut me to the quick:

"Lizzy, that RA (resident advisor) was just going to help one of his residents.
I WOULD have done when I was an RA."

And this, when they'd identified just 23 of the victims . . .

"There are nine more. I just hope I don't know any more."

Because of that, my heart aches for her. Because of that, I miss her immensely this week. Because of that, I wish I could hug her. Because of that, I sent her flowers on Friday, the only day of the week she hadn't cried yet.

Because of that, I decided today was the day I'd finish my grieving for the Virgina Tech family. I watched the convocation and wanted to see a video of the candlelight vigil they held on the drillfield. This is the best one I've seen.



And I continue to be moved by Nikki Giovanni's speech and her closing words: "We are Virginia Tech. We will prevail. We are the Hokies."

Friend speaks my mind.

No comments: