10.08.2008

WFDD Wants My Money

They do. They ask for it about 200 times a day this week. And I'm inclined to give them some of it, especially when they tell me I could win a Mac Book Air (ooh, ahh). But, I'm not convinced.

I'm not convinced because I know how much they ask businesses to pay for "sponsorships." In my industry, they're known as really very expensive, really very short ads that you have to run lots of to make any impact at all.

I'm also not convinced because they could be (if they're not) writing grants to get their funding. And because they get some of my taxpayer money, too.

And, let's be honest: Diane Rehm's voice grates on me like nothing else and someone over at WFDD the other day said it would be worth paying the 27% cost increase for her program next year. I disagree. Completely.

In any case, I do value what NPR brings me, at least most of what it brings me. But I want a little more say in how they spend my money. Shouldn't I be able to vote for which shows make it and which ones don't? Shouldn't I be able suggest that WFDD only give in-kind sponsorships to local arts groups? Shouldn't there be a listener advisory board to help the staff decide how to spend all that money?

Someday, tomorrow perhaps, I will give WFDD money again, especially when they threaten the non-renewal of Morning Edition or All Things Considered or Prairie Home Companion. But until I can direct my donation to my favorite shows or at least most of my money to that part of the station I really want to support, it's going to take a lot more to part me from my money.

Other charities, including the couple I've got listed on the side of this blog? Check them out on Charity Navigator. Heck, for a shocking look at how some charities are run, check out the Top Ten Lists. It's even worth pointing out that Charity Navigator's got a good list of how to be a good philanthropist, here.

Be smart with your money, especially these days.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

It's public information: you can always pull up their financial statements online to see how they're spending your donations and to see where their money is coming from.

http://www.wfdd.org/about/financial.php

Anonymous said...

but sis...you CAN specify exactly how you want your money to be spent. You can even just say it on the phone, or write in the memo of the check. You can even demand proof that your money went to a particular program.
And, even better, if you don't like the way campaigns are run, you should tell them. Us fundraisers actually do want to hear from donors to know what they like, don't like, don't approve of, everything. So give them a call (maybe not during campaign week) and speak directly to the fundraiser/developer about your concerns. Otherwise they can't fix anything.
And can I just say, it's important for nonprofits to have a wide variety of funding sources - government grants, private grants, corporate sponsorships, and individual contributions- so that they are sustainable for the long run- otherwise when the gov/corp/foundations have budget cuts because of economy, they'll crash and burn.
love you, feel free to ask me some ?'s.
-dk