12.07.2006

Hormones and holidays

Yep, evidently my hormones are working well. No problems there at all, not that I was concerned that there might be a problem. It's just that for years - and I mean years - almost 13 of them - my hormones were fairly stable all the time, not just 3 out of 4 weeks of the month. It really, really sucks to be a woman sometimes.

Anyway, the hormones also got me to finally use my $10 Vickie's card, which has been burning a hole in my pocket for a while - and they made me very, very indecisive when I was trying to find something to wear to the office holiday dinner tomorrow. Most people who know me understand that indecisiveness is a part of my personality; multiply that by 10 and you know how bad off I was tonight.

Things I learned today while shopping this evening:
(a) if it's this cold (currently, 27 degrees, but it feels like 13 with the wind, which is flying at 21 mph), it's probably better to shop at an indoor mall;
(b) you need a coat, gloves, AND a hat - or ear muffs, at least;
(c) a cowl neck sweater isn't the best thing to be wearing - nor are tall boots - when you know you'll be trying on lots of clothes;
(d) I really can't afford stuff from White House/Black Market.(I'd post a link of the dress with the photo, but they don't have it on their website. Think it might be one of those dresses people say "damn" about again. Figures.)

Also what's been on my mind:
- I'm much too busy for not being in school any longer. Haven't had a free night this week, and I've almost completely booked my weekend. I've got projects I've promised people I'd do that are waiting for me, in addition to cleaning the rest of the house, mailing the graduation announcements, trying to make it feel like the holidays in my house, and getting ready for vacation. (No, Jim, you shouldn't ask me to do anything else at least until I come through on something you've asked me to do so far.)

- I absolutely can't wait for vacation. I'm very, very jealous that a friend of mine is livin' the dream in the islands of Turks & Caicos where the weather seems to be pretty good - 77 degrees, no wind, maybe a little rain. Damn. I'd like to be there. Have I mentioned I don't care for winter at all?

- I think we ought to be able to physically check out of work and other not-so-appealing parts of our lives when the holidays roll around and we're mentally checked out anyway. Seems to always happen that I'm very busy right before the holidays (and I do my shopping earlier than most - usually done by Thanksgiving - so that's not the problem). I worry more about the stuff I've got to be doing in my personal life more so than what I need to be doing professionally and it completely shifts my perspective. I tend to focus on the stuff I can't get done and it just stresses me out.

And, may I mention, that Undercurrent has an awesome bar and a pretty cool private room in which to have parties? Had a couple of drinks there earlier this week with the aforementioned friends and love the atmosphere. Hosted a reception for work there last night and it went over fantastically. If you ever feel like having a martini or a wine in an awesome spot, this is it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slow down! Oh, and tell your hubster that I did not intentionally hang up on him today. My crappy-ass cell phone did that by dying. Seems it doesn't like to take a charge, and also the crappy ass charger doesn't like to charge consistently. Ho hum, maybe santa will drop a barrel of money down my chimney! Oh, wait.......I don't have a chimney! (Call me, i'll tell you about work!)