8.06.2008

Here Fishy, Fishy

It's been over 10 years since I learned how to fly fish, and I've not been nearly enough. But that might change soon.

Part of the reason I've not been nearly enough is that I haven't had waders to go fishing. It means I'm restricted to wading in ice cold mountain streams in jeans and sneakers(not fun). I've off and on seriously thought about just laying out the money to get, well, almost everything except a handful of flies, my rod and my reel. However, if you know anything at all about fly fishing, you know it's (a) beautiful to watch and (b) it's *&^% expensive.

So, now I have waders. I got them Friday evening. And they're probably not the best in the world, but for $20, given the amount of fishing I'm doing these days, I don't feel like I've just sunk way too much money into this hobby.

Trout are fickle little buggers, you see, and fly fishing just takes that challenge to an even higher level. We don't cheat like the spin fishers. We don't tempt our fish with stuff they wouldn't eat in the wild, like corn or baloney or worms. Nope. Fly fishers like a challenge.

Our challenge is to convince a very intelligent fish (as fishes go) to eat something that LOOKS like something they might normally eat. It has to move the way it normally would; it has to fall in places it normally would. It has to sink and float the way a bug normally would.

I mean, really: would you believe that this caddis fly:

Is the same thing as this caddis?

No?

Well, this brown trout did:

No comments: