8.05.2008

Imagery and Sybolism

Imagery and symbolism is on my mind these days, as I have to admit that I'm considering another tattoo. I've thought for years about getting another, but had to answer two questions before that could happen: "Where?" and "What?"

I've recently been able to answer the last of those two questions, with the help of an artist on Etsy, and the second one will involve quite a few symbols. Aside from being thrilled that I'd finally found the 'base' of my second (because I feel it represents a lot about who I am now), I decided to look into the symbolism of those images in both my current and my future tattoo.

I did and here's what I've found out (courtesy of VanishingTattoo.com):
Star: As a light shining in the darkness, the star is often considered a symbol of truth, of the spirit and of hope. The symbol of the star embodies the concept of the divine spark within each of us. Their nocturnal nature leads stars to represent the struggle against the forces of darkness and the unknown.

Turtle: The spirit of the turtle is one of protection, healing and inner knowledge. The Turtle is considered by some Indigenous North Americans to be one of their the oldest, most sacred symbols. They believed that North America was created on the back of a turtle. Turtle is also courageous because it makes progress only when it sticks its neck out, and moves forward with patient, steady flow in order to achieve the desired results.

Mermaid: Mermaids are a symbol of subtle feminine power and mystery. The long flowing hair of the Mermaid (symbolizing an abundant love potential) can also be seen in the representations of the Goddesses Aphrodite and Venus. Mermaid symbolism includes: beauty, elusiveness, mystery, allure, privacy, persuasiveness, sensuality, and love. The song of the Sirens (also mermaids) call men to abandon themselves, to transform, to die to self and emerge into a new form with new knowledge and understanding.

Heart: The heart is the eternal symbol of love, romance, and the very life force within all of humankind. Getting to the "heart of the matter" suggests that the heart rules the source of truth and love.

Crown: The crown has long been used as a symbol of royal power and authority. The crown is a visible badge of office, granting the wearer the absolute right to rule. That authority to rule was often held to be divinely inspired. As a symbol, the crown also symbolizes leadership, and the rightful authority which comes from being elected by a group to serve as their leader. It symbolizes an individual's sovereignty over their own life, feelings, thoughts, and actions. The crown symbolizes self-control, and is a reminder to use power and authority wisely and justly.
After finding that information, it's pretty obvious to me why I decided on that design. If you know me at all, I'm pretty sure you'd agree.

No comments: