11.10.2007

Word of the Day

Courtesy of Dictionary.com:


"pro·cras·ti·nate /proʊˈkræstəˌneɪt, prə-/ [proh-kras-tuh-neyt, pruh-]verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing.

–verb (used without object)
1. to defer action; delay: to procrastinate until an opportunity is lost.

–verb (used with object)
2. to put off till another day or time; defer; delay.

Origin: 1580–90; pro-1 + -crāstināre, deriv. of crāstinus of tomorrow; crās tomorrow + -tinus suffix forming adjs. from temporal advs.)]"

Yeah, I might get back to my novel this evening. Ok, I will. I just want to clean out my email first. And maybe try to find my lost memory card for my camera and the card reader. And put away the clean clothes. And fill up the new purse. And do the dishes. And go paint the shelf on the shed (Oh, wait, it's dark. Darn . . . hmm, I could just take the ever-so-useful headlamp out to paint . . .).

I could just camp on the lottery website and refresh the screen until they update the winning number for this week. Or take the recycling out. Or put the dead houseplant in the composter. Or make brownies. Ooh, or pumpkin bread. Or empty my Google reader. Or blog more. Or call my brother and my sister and my other sister. Or . . .

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Or hang out on www.freerice.com :)

Ashley said...

or make a CD of one of your BEST FRIEND'S wedding photos??????? and maybe pop it in the mail so that she can see her wedding photos????

Jessica said...

Did the "dead" plant perk up any?

Anonymous said...

Liz,

How appropriate that I come to your blog and read about the word procrastination... which is what I would be doing since I am clearly not working at the moment. Just thought I would drop you a little note to say hello... Hope you are doing well...

Neil U.

Liz said...

Ahh, free rice. Good stuff. Wish they'd had it around when I was studying for my SATs.

Ash, we've talked about the photos. Please keep your fingers crossed that I find the card and the reader. :(

No, the dead plant didn't perk up. It's meeting the composter tomorrow.

Neil, good to hear from you. KIT.