5.25.2008

"Me" Day

Today is a "me" day.

Well, maybe it's been a "me" weekend. Friday morning was rough and I finished the day with, get this:
- A massage at Kneaded Energy
- Tiny little shopping spree at New York & Company
- A new 'do, from Carla at Van Davis
- Dinner with my sis at Ichiban
- Drinks with some of her friends at First Street

Saturday was slow. Deb and I went to Father Larry Hunt's memorial mass. He was the priest at Good Shepherd during my adolescence, so he certainly meant a lot to me. So amazing to see the number and variety of people he had an impact on during his life. The two things that just really got me: remembering his garden at the church (he didn't have the space at the rectory) and the bookmarks he gave out for birthdays, anniversaries and graduations at mass. You never got the same one twice. I've got a good collection.

Quiet afternoon and we decided to head up to Summer on Trade to listen to some music, but ended up at the Open Drum Circle that Living Rhythms holds in the Bubbling Well Tea and Tonic Bar/Golden Flower Tai Chi Center. Finally got a seat at a drum and played until the drum circle was over (more than an hour). Deb got a chance to get up and practice her African dance moves to real live music, too. Ended the evening with martinis at Fourth Street and time in the hot tub.

But today-today is a "me" day. I need to find time to be quiet and surround myself with the beautiful day that today is. I've got some "me" work to do soon and I need to prepare for that.

The plants that still need to be planted can wait another day. The grass really doesn't have to be mowed today. Vacuuming can be done when it's dark out and shops are closed.

So, the plan is a picnic lunch at Reynolda Gardens, a bit of reading and journaling out on the lawn, photos of the blooming rose garden (look for pix later), a trip to Sam's, maybe World Market or Kirkland's and maybe Lowe's (because it's a spring weekend and I'm not sure I've passed more than two spring weekends in the last 10 years without going to Lowe's; it's a habit). Then a bit more reading in the hammock with the Ben & Jerry's that's sitting in my fridge. And since I missed church completely this morning, church this evening.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Action packed day! Totally jealous, but hope you get lots of me-ing in! If you get bored, stop by at RH and see Jenny and I.

Ashley said...

Now I want ice cream...

Enjoy your me-day.

Liz said...

It was a good day. Didn't get nearly as much accomplished as I'd have liked, but it was good nonetheless. May have to schedule another of those again sometime soon.