2.24.2008

Dogwoods, Dinner and Dancing

Went to visit my littlest sis yesterday; since she and the hubster have moved back to the east coast, and they're just an hour and a half away, there's really no excuse, these days.

Decided to go to Umstead Park to canoe around the lake, only to find out that Umstead has two entrances and we came in the wrong one to get to the lake. So we hiked "Inspiration Loop," (not so inspiring, if you ask me) and took some photos and read little placards about trees.

Dinner was with the Park Alum from NCSU at 18 Seaboard in Raleigh. I hadn't realized the Park program was so new; I thought it had been around as long as the Morehead Scholars (now the Morehead-Cain Scholars) program. Alas, that is not the case. The 10th class of Park Scholars is about to graduate, and so, I was one of the oldest in the room. Many Park have moved away from the area (not surprisingly), but the dinner was overbooked, so that bodes well for the newly formed group.

I can't say much for 18 Seaboard. I think this restaurant has a lot of potential and they have an amazing wine list (they've got my Qupe Syrah), but the food really didn't live up to my expectations. Sauteed spinach was awesome, but if I'm paying that much for dinner, the steak ought to be, too. It wasn't.

The evening continued with the "social dance" part of ballroom dance. (For those of you who don't know, my sister is a WONDERFUL ballroom dancer. Wins awards and stuff. Yeah, that good. Watch her here at a competition in 2007.)

I concede to go, thinking, "Ok, I've got no idea how to do any of these dances, but I can appreciate watching dancing, so I'll just do that."

RIGHT.

Turns out you really don't have to have much of a clue of what you're doing to swing (either east coast or west coast) or lindy or salsa or bachata or meringue. Because I was doing all of that - basically - by the end of the night. With the parade of men who kept asking. Almost every single song.

Now, here's my fuss about the rules: If you just look creepy to me and I turn you down for a dance, I shouldn't be penalized for doing so. (Technically, if you turn someone down for a dance, you're not supposed to do that particular style of dance any longer. Ha.) It's not my fault my creep meter goes off. For all I know, you're going to stalk me back to wherever I live and kill me in my sleep. I'm not gonna give you that opportunity to develop such an obsession with me. Sorry. Deal with it.

French toast for breakfast, church at St. Andrew's and lunch at the mexican joint around the corner.

Quality girl time; every second of it needed. (Thanks, hon.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I generally like 18 Seaboard, but I have had good and bad experiences there. Their catfish is very good.
I'm glad you had fun dancing and I agree with you on the rules! You should be able to turn someone down if ou want to, without penalization.

Ashley said...

I say let them deal with it. Trust the creep-dar and turn 'em down if that's what you feel is best. Besides, I'm sure you did it with grace and a smile.

I sure hope someone posts a video on youtube of YOU dancing!

Anonymous said...

Such a delay in responding. Every time I've started reading this post, I've been interrupted. FINALLY!

So I'm responding just to send my kudos to you for the creep meter thing. Brilliant. And a toast to you: May you hereafter keep ALL Creepy Men far away without any effort or irritation whatsoever, on your part. Amen.

Liz said...

Ely - I think they've got potential - but only because of the sauteed spinach!

Ash - Video? Me? Dancing? YouTube? There better not be. I'd much rather never share the only one that exists with the entire world.

Mel - Thanks for the toast! Amen!