5.30.2007

Forgiveness

In the last 48 hours, the overriding theme in my life has been that of forgiveness. I see places where I hope it heals, when it's given. I've had reason myself to be contrite, and hoped that my apologies solicited mercy. It's taken both serious and fairly lighthearted forms - corresponding to the magnitude of the transgression. Nonetheless, this focus makes me value the idea of forgiveness all the more.

It continues to amaze me that humans are capable of an idea like forgiveness. Of course, it's predicated upon a decision to forgive, which given the keystone of free will in all humanity, means that forgiveness is never a forgone conclusion.

Those who realize that forgiveness is a decision also understand that it is not often an easy decision. Pain, frustration, anger and stubbornness all stand in the way of forgiveness at one point or another. One must simply hope that a divine grace intercedes during these times and that eventually, forgiveness is granted and soon thereafter, peace is realized for everyone involved.

Forgiveness has many names, perhaps an outward symbol of the prevalence and necessity of the act in our world.

Among those names: benefaction, beneficence, benevolence, caritas, charity, clemency, compassion, compassionateness, favor, forbearance, forgiveness, grace, generosity, good will, goodness, indulgence, kindliness, kindness, leniency, lenity, love, mercy, pardon, quarter, reprieve, responsiveness, tenderness.

I don't find it unusual to look that list and find several that speak to my history of forgiveness, words which resonate more with me than perhaps with you. Those words define forgiveness for me. They're the ones marked in bold. Which would you choose?

May we all find the strength to make the decision for forgiveness when needed and then to act upon that decision.

No comments: