7.26.2007

The Rules for Blogging

Today was the day of many topics to blog about. I can definitely say that I'm set for the week. Stay tuned for more on that later . . .

Nonetheless, the topic I'm going to pick for this evening is this: blogging rules. It's happened again that a good friend didn't define their rules completely before getting into the blogosphere (something I have to admit that I did as well) and thus, their presence in the blogosphere changed drastically and without warning.

Now, as many in the blogosphere know, such changes are completely unexpected and cause concern in your readers especially if you have a fairly large and/or loyal readership. I've got a blog I'm stalking right now that hasn't had a post in months, but they used to post several times a day! (No, you don't get that link. It's NWS and it speaks to #7 on The List.) It's upsetting, to say the least.

Ergo, here's the draft of The Rules for Blogging. In no way shape or form is this a complete or un-alterable list. Jump in and let me know what you'd change or what you'd add. (Yep, I learned some of these the hard way. Just ask my friend Jess or my friend Jim.)

1) If you've got a significant other, tell them you have/are starting a blog and how to get to it. If they never look at it, you've done your part. Might be good to share your rules for what goes on the blog with them, so they don't have to be concerned about what may or may not appear on the blog. Remember that your significant other (and everyone else in the world with an Internet connection) can see it whenever they want, if they can find it. Don't forget that.

2) In consideration of the significant other, DON'T post anything offensive or that could be perceived as too personal UNLESS you've got permission from them BEFORE you post. Now, if you don't so much care for that significant other and aren't concerned about helping to define the legality of social media and first amendment rights or aren't concerned about a libel or slander lawsuit, post away. Post it once, and it's always there (especially after the web spiders get to it).

3) Don't write stuff you wouldn't admit in public. For me, after I mentioned my duck (the post), I realized I wasn't ready to post about it. However, my perspective on sexuality has shifted and I don't mind at all now. Realize however that some things are still not public: i.e., #7 on The List.

4) Decide what's off-limits. For me, work is always off-limits; I don't need to be dooced. I need my job. (If you're interested, Heather Armstrong's experience provided the nomenclature for this phenomenon.)

Intimate conversations with friends are also off-limits, as well as any significant reference to their lives. My family is sometimes off, sometimes on; depends on the situation.

5) Decide on pictures and video content. What will you post? What won't you post? Why? If you don't know why, you won't stick with your decision. Beware of copyright laws - and know a lawyer.

6) Be fair and give credit where it's due. Don't steal someone else's blog post. Sure, if they've got a topic that gets your writing bristles up, go for it. But give them credit for having the idea first. Link. And consider a Creative Commons license. (They're free.)

7) Ask the blogger before you add a blog to your blog roll. Admittedly, I haven't done
this, but I should have. The people who read your blog may be some other blogger's worst nightmare. The only way they may have found that blogger was through your blog roll.

8) Admit when you're wrong and publicly correct the error. We're all human and we all know that eventually, you're gonna screw up. Deal. (Here's an example, courtesy of Cara Michele at Chosen Fast.)

9) Learn about your blog/hosting service. Know how it works. Know what the passwords do. Know what's public and what's not before you jump right in. And don't be afraid to use the knowledge base. Those people know everything about hosting/blog service. They developed it - and continue to improve it. Let them help.

10) When lurking/commenting on someone else's blog, follow their lead. If they don't cuss, you'd better not. If you know them IRL and they don't specifically mention or name parts of their life on the blog, don't dare. It might violate one of their blogging rules.

And, since 10 is a nice, round number and it's past my bedtime, that's where I'll stop. I expect to hear your thoughts or opinions on this. Chime in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lizzy, these are great. I've read a lot of lists concerning what we should or shouldn't do with our blogs, but yours touched on lots of what I'm thinking of as "fresh" territory. I guess the diversity of angles you've used to approach this topic is what feels most fresh to me. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

Fresh, huh? Not a descriptor I often get.

I'd be intrigued to see some of the other lists you've seen.