6.17.2007

Lazy Days of Summer

Today, it was close to 90 degrees here. A wonderful, but not typical (simply because it didn't storm this evening) summer day. It was one of those days that makes you want to be outside, and yet not, because of the heat and humidity.

Given that, and given that we've actually gotten close to making up for our drought in the last couple of days (even though we're still in Moderate Drought conditions, or Abnormally Dry conditions, if you're slightly to the east of here), everyone had a bit of overdue yard work to do.

Well, at least I did.

The fence now looks like a fence, not like a tree line. The grass hasn't been mowed, but will be tomorrow (perhaps) and the back gardens were weeded as the sun went down.

There's still a bit of work to do: the front garden needs it's border finished and the excess grass killed; the back hill needs to be sprayed again so the nasty weeds die (yes, I know this is bad for the environment, but how bad can it be if they come back every month or so?), and I need to buy a small bag of grass seed to fill in the now empty spots on my lawn.

Regardless, I got a lot of work done and still had a wonderful, relaxing day. Two of my chairs are put together for the new dining set. The dishes got cleaned. Groceries were bought, as were tomato stakes. Steak was marinated and grilled. Golf was watched. Ice cream was eaten.

And yet, days like today make me long for the pool - and the beach. After having spent 5 years lifeguarding, I realize that days like today are precious. Busy for a lifeguard, but one doesn't have the boredom that's usual with overcast, rainy days. These days make me want to be outside, soaking up the sun (much to my dermatologist's chagrin).

I am a summer girl at heart. As I sit here writing this, I can hear the crickets and tree frogs chirping. I hear the stillness of the summer night. The only thing that would make it better would be the sound of waves lapping against the shore.

Margaritaville might be a good place . . .

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'll meet you there. My mom visited this weekend, so M-ville sounds like a much-needed holiday.

Ashley said...

PS - googled "TAWANKA" and found this:

* a Lakota word meaning “willing to do”

Jessica said...

Take me away to Margaritaville, please! :)

Sounds like a nice day. Wanna come do my yard/house when you're done?