6.29.2007

Email from Grandma

(January 18, 1999; Jim is my uncle, Kathi is my aunt, Debbie is one of my sisters, and George was my grandfather. He died earlier than my grandmother, and while I know she was heartbroken - from emails like this - she knew she still had work to do on this earth and loved every day of it. I'm sure I was some of that work.)

Sorry, haven't kept up with all the latest. The computer was on the "blink" for almost a week. The c.d. modem didn't want to work . . . and just HAD to have my daily dose of Scrabble . . . so Jim replaced it for me.

It's been dangerous trying to walk up my driveway, because the snow started to melt, then froze solid. Not hard at all coming DOWN to the house . . . but sheer "you know what" trying to get up to get the paper and mail. So, I cut that chore down to once a day. I've spread de-icer on about half the drive, but can only do so much at a time.

Kathy came up on Monday, and after various attempts to get her car back up the drive - almost skidding backwards into the shop, I had her stop and we called for help. One of her friends with a 4by4 came up and pulled her right out.

We're due for a lot more snow and ice on Sunday . . . so, if I make it to Mass it will be a miracle. Every time the snowplow comes up, he blocks my drive with a foot or three of snow. Then that pile freezes hard and it's just like climbing Mt. Everest. I have a great snow plow, but I can`t move it. It's way to heavy for me. Jim usually clears it for me, but while I'm having snow up here, the "flat-landers" are getting rain. So, he always seems surprised when he comes up on Sundays and sees all the snow.

How's the job hunting going? Any likely looking prospects? By the way, what is your major in college? Have been wondering what you were planning on after the big day. Kathy and I will be there for the big day (for yours and Debbie's).

This will probably be the last trip for me . . . getting harder and harder to make that trip. God willing, I'll be able to be there this year, with lots of help from Kathy and the stewards. But each day, I thank God for another day. I look out at the deer, and the snow, and the beautiful mountains, and I say thanks to George for giving me such a beautiful place for my last years.

It's too bad that God needed a "fixer-upper" in heaven and took him early. But I know he's watching over me from up there . . . I have NO doubt.

Love you,
Grandma

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Seems so odd to know your time is coming. How much longer did she live?

Jim said...

Where was she living at the time of that email?

Liz said...

From emails from others, she died in early March 2000.

She lived on the top of Mt. Spokane in Washington state. It was beautiful.

Got to go up there once when I was in high school. Went back up with Dad after she died (while we were in town for Kathi's graduation in May 2000) and it was still beautiful.

She had a stream and a koi pond. Course it all froze in the winter, so she brought the koi in; she kept them in the bathtub of the bathroom she wasn't using! Wish I had a picture of that!

Guess if I'm going to write a book, I'll need to pull out some photos. Will see if I can't get Dad to scan some for me so that I can post.