3.30.2008

Collge Basketball Fan Rules

1) The ACC is, without question, the best basketball conference there is.

2) Although the Big Ten is decent, the quantity of high quality basketball teams over time pales in comparison to the number of high quality basketball teams in the ACC. And the Big Ten has been playing basketball for 99 years. The ACC's been playing basketball since 1953. Simply put, our basketball programs are better and have done more in less time.

3) Ergo, all members of the human race can root for any ACC basketball team they select, as well as their own non-ACC basketball team. (This is only allowable to keep the television audiences interested through the entirety of the March Madness. Not having this rule would severely limit the size of television audiences when March came around, as many non-ACC teams are ousted from tourney play - if they're even included - in the first round.)

4) Furthermore, if the chosen ACC basketball team is anyone other than Duke, when Duke plays any other team in existence, the individual may root for the opposing team under the "ABD rule: Anybody But Duke." This rule extends outside of the ACC after the playoffs begin, unless Duke is in the final game with any other non-ACC opponent. At that point, the individual (painful though it may be), may root for Duke. (Although Duke is the black sheep of the family, they are still family. Ugh.)

(I discovered this sitting in my email drafts folder. It was part of an unfinished response I'd been writing at some point about claiming Chapel Hill as the Southern Part of Heaven, which I'd been told I couldn't do, since I don't pull for UNC Football. It's appropriate now, so I thought I'd share it. I'm almost positive that I'll add to this list, so feel free to let me know what you think is missing.)

No comments: